Tuesday, December 18, 2007

The Beginning of the End

When I first arrived at Dublin International Airport back in October, I was tired, scared and not at all sure of what this trip would hold. One thing is for sure, this trip has been unlike any other I have ever experienced before. Not only have I seen and visited internationally famed places of interest, visited other foreign countries, and taught students from a different cultural background than myself, but I did it all on my own. There are many things in my life that I am proud to have accomplished, but this I think may be the biggest. Every trip, every weekend, every lesson plan I organized, planned and carried out myself. Looking back and thinking about how much I have experiences, seen and accomplished, I am truly amazed at what I have all done, and I am very proud of myself.
This past weekend was one of few where I did not travel to any place of interest. Instead I enjoyed a relaxing weekend with my host family. I went with them to visit Santa Clause twice. I also began to get my things in order, as I am leaving to go home this coming Saturday; which is now only five short days away!
Speaking of going home to see my family and friends, this is another thing that I now feel differently about. I think because I have always lived and went to school in a rather close proximity to all of my family that I began to take them for granted, intentionally or not. Being away from them, where my only regular connection was through an email each morning, has truly opened my eyes to how important they are to me. This time apart from them has made me realize how large of a part of my life they are.
The past few weeks have been very trying for me at school. The Christmas play is now over. It was a stressful, but successful night. The kids all had a great time. There were no major flaws and no one forgot their lines! Their costumes were great and we had quite a few parents help us out with out props. All in all, it was a very entertaining evening; one I know I will not forget.
As Christmas draws closer and closer, things around the Bohermeen community are looking more and more festive, St. Ultan’s School, is no exception. A few of the fourth class girls put up the Christmas tree and decorated the hallways last week. They were trying to go for a red, white and blue theme, on account of me, but they said that they ran out of blue so they had to switch to green. The hallway looks amazing girls!
Only five short days left here in Ireland. This has been the opportunity and experience of a lifetime. Leaving will be bittersweet. I am ready to go home and spend Charismas with my family, but I will not quickly forget all the people here that I have met!

No comments: